Thursday, February 14, 2013

Things Finished, Things Begun

Remember I said I had a Blizzard List? I really wanted to finish my son's sweater.


This is a case of not letting Perfection get in the way of Done. I'm not quite so happy with the center garter stitch at the neck opening. The last time I knit him this sweater, I did seed stitch there. The pattern calls for garter, but I like the seed stitch better. Too late now though, although at some point I am probably going to snag it back from him so I can try to neaten up the bottom of that panel, at least. Otherwise, this is a comfy sweater with room to grow. It's his second Wallaby, as the first was really getting too small. I used the same yarn, Spud and Chloe Sweater, and again, he picked the colors. As he said, the first one (which is two shades of blue) is a cool sweater, and this is a warm, fiery sweater. (This is the kid who identifies strongly with colors.) Details on Ravelry here.

I also wanted to finish my little embroidered trees for hanging. I knew I wanted to incorporate the selvedge, and I decided to stitch it to a backing, ready for hanging, rather than try to frame it somehow. This is what it looks like from the front.


The backing is red wool burel. I sewed on loops on the back for the dowel to slide through:


...and I'd hang it by balancing the dowel on a nail on each side. I'm running out of places to hang my stitching, though, which makes me think maybe it's time to try to start selling it? (I gave the birch trees, by the way, to my sister for her birthday. I'm a pretty awesome sister.)

Finishing my son's sweater means I could finally start mine. This is a dodgy photo I took this morning with my cell phone.


I'm making Tang, from Custom Knits, but without the turtleneck, because post-having-children, turtlenecks make me feel like I can't breathe, even though I used to wear them all the time and am still a very chilly person. The yarn is Dream in Color Classy, a total splurge, but it's so nice.

And finishing the hanging method/backing for the little trees means I can start on the next embroidery project, but all I've done thus far is transfer my drawing to the fabric. Oftentimes the first stitch of an embroidery piece is the absolute hardest for me, because, I think, embroidery is so very important to me.

4 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

That's funny - it was during some of my pregnancies that I couldn't bear to have anything touching my throat. I figured it must have had something to do with the thyroid gland, but I could be wrong.

Donna Lee said...

I'm another one who gave up turtleneck anything after I had babies. I feel like I can't breathe.

I love Custom Knits. Wendy Bernard is so good at giving clear directions and teaching how to make a knit fit YOU.

The trees are beautiful. Maybe you should make one of those lovely light cotton embroidered shirts for summer. I used to love them.

Cameron said...

I'm always a huge supporter of selling your creative offerings....I'm going to go ahead and vote yes on that subject :)

The sweater is great and he looks adorable in it :)
Love the yarn you chose for yours, too!

Anonymous said...

kids love a hood! Perfect or otherwise. The colours are fabulous.