Thursday, September 29, 2011

Finished: Girl's Best Cardigan

Monday night my husband was away again (just a one-night trip this time), so I told myself firmly that I was going to finish my daughter's sweater (pattern: Girl's Best Cardigan; yarn & sticks info in my Rav entry). I can get so distracted sometimes! But I only had about half a sleeve to go, and finish it I did. Tuesday my daughter and I went looking for small buttons. She very much wanted to buy them herself, with her own dollars, which she keeps in a wallet that looks like mine, in a pink zippered bag that also matches mine, in a backpack, because everyone else in the family carries a backpack. So she sat in the store cart, handed the cashier the buttons, took her pink bag out of her backpack and her wallet out of her pink bag, I helped her count out the dollars (it was a whole bag of buttons, because we do like playing with buttons), and she bought her buttons for her sweater.

I blocked out the lace and the top and bottom edges, and last night I sewed on the buttons. This morning my daughter woke up and said, Did you sew the buttons on my sweater? Oh yay! Can I try it on?

Wouldn't it be great if I could get both of those side by side? But I'm having enough problems as it is with Blogger's new interface. Anyway, she's obviously well versed in modeling the new clothes, isn't she? I really love the length of this sweater. It's easier to see while she's walking, but it goes past the hips and flares out nicely--it's a pretty cute sweater. The buttons are tiny enough to be fiddly, both in sewing on and in fastening, at least for my fingers, which off and on can struggle with tiny fiddly things. Be forewarned if you knit this, the loops on the picot cast-off form the "buttonholes." Make sure you cast-off loosely (you know, like you're always supposed to do anyway).

So, yay! I finished something. And this upcoming weekend looks to be the only one for a few weeks that might have a spot of time long enough to sew. Me and the fabric, we're excited.

You can see more creative folks at our creative spaces.

10 comments:

Olivia said...

The cardigan looks beautiful on her, and it looks like it will fit for a while too? Good on her for buying her own buttons!

Bells said...

it's done! I'm so happy to see this! She and Alice are linked across the world with their cardigans. Isn't it just gorgeous on her!! I love the length of it too. And we've had a cold snap here so Alice is still getting Spring wear out of hers!

Michelle said...

Cute! Great job! I'll be sewing Ella's costume this weekend. (bleep)ing satin. It won't be fun.

And she's standing still! Does she teach lessons on that? Because I haven't managed a photo of Harper standing in one place in . . . oh . . . ever.

Donna Lee said...

It looks great. I can't believe how grown up she looks. I didn't knit when my kids were small. And now when they want sweaters, it takes so much longer.

Carolyn said...

Absolutely adorable! (And the sweater is cute too! Nice job!)

Jennifer J said...

Congrats on finishing! It is a really wonderful feeling, isn't it? I hope she enjoys it for a good long time.

amy said...

@Olivia, yes, I think it will fit for a while. She still fits in a couple of sweaters I made her two years ago--the benefits of making them with room to grow!

@Michelle--I don't know what happened. I expected to get a red blur, but she modeled it instead.

@Carolyn--:)

@Jennifer J--thanks for your comment! Always nice to have a new visitor. :)

Al Firdaus lifestile & interior said...

she looks so sweet and this Cardigan!;) happy sewing!;)
JenMuna

lamina @ do a bit said...

It looks really pretty on her :) It's always such a great feeling when you actually finish something hey :)

Rose Red said...

It's a great idea to make things a bit bigger, to get that bit more wear out of them. Great colour (but of course!) and look at how she's grown! Love the stripy pants too and most especially that she wanted to buy the buttons herself.