Sunday, January 29, 2012

By Necessity Headband

So yesterday I had an unexpectedly open chunk of time and I decided to henna my hair. I have a lot of lot of grey, and I've just ignored it for quite a while. I don't like to color my hair while I'm still nursing, and I only stopped doing that in the fall. I hate chemical smells, to the point where it can be hard to even be in a typical salon, so I was going to Aveda salons, but they seem to put wheat protein in everything, and even though I'm not eating the hair dye (or the shampoo, or the air infuser stuff), the smell is so thick in the air that, well, I don't want to go in there anymore either, just like I wouldn't go into a working bakery and take a nice deep breath, either. There's a good chance anything that thick in the air is going to end up in the mouth somehow, just by breathing. So. I thought I'd try some henna at home.

Sigh. I think I picked the wrong color, and probably left it on too long, and while the rest of my hair--including the white strand that goes down the length on one side--looked really nice, the patch of grey right at the crown came out kind of, well, orange. I felt like a Fraggle. And even though this morning I bought a darker color and overdyed it and it looks much better (although still orangeish in spots, to me, anyway), last night I decided that I'd sew a nice wide headband, which would neatly cover everything at the crown of my head. And it does.

I used some scraps from my son's jammie pants, because hello, robots!! I traced out a shape, fussy cut to get some robots I liked, and sewed it up with some elastic.

So I can have those robots showing, or these...

...because it's essentially reversible. The sewing bits are hidden underneath, with the elastic:

I did this by hand, because it was quicker than getting out the machine, and because I could sit and talk to my husband while I sewed upstairs, instead of listen to my son complain the machine keeps him awake, downstairs. The only thing I'd do different, if I were sewing by machine, is topstitch all around at the end, and next time I have the machine out, I just might. I cut another at the same time, out of a fat quarter of some Michael Miller fabric with dogs on it. (Look, here's a pic! Don't you love the Internet?) I think I might make that one a little thinner, though--just a little.

It's awfully handy to be able to sew, when you muck up your henna-ing.

When I haven't been dyeing, and trying to fix, my hair this weekend, I've been looking at more winter trees

The shadows are so interesting, too.
and playing with watercolors.

Not done with this yet...
What did you get up to this weekend?

7 comments:

Shell said...

I was doing the same as you this weekend .. covering up my grey hair. A job I loathe doing so I am quite looking forward to reaching an age where a full head of grey hair is more acceptable.

Donna Lee said...

Hair coloring here, too! I know that some day I'll let it go but I'm not ready for that yet. I know I'll have a head full of white hair and I'm already so pink and pale that I'm afraid I'll look like Mrs Claus.

The hairbands are great. I used robot fabric to make a knitting project bag for Christmas. Like dinosaurs, there's something about robots.

Ingrid said...

let it grey- I actually get more positive comments on my grey hair - and sometimes its even in ponytails. Spend the money on a relaxing facial once in a while instead and let the radiance of your fresh face shine ;)

ps- you can still wear the cute headband!
xo, ingrid, a fellow creative courager

amy said...

Hi Ingrid!! Thanks for visiting. Trust me, it's been grey for years and years now, and I'm not even 40 yet. I don't mind going about with grey hair (in ponytails, braids, whatever! my hair is super long) even though nobody has ever complimented me on it. I just wanted to try something different. I'm absolutely sure I won't keep up with it--too lazy. :-)

Bells said...

as a fellow grey-haired person I have to say that if my hair was entirely grey I'd leave it that way. Because I've been dyeing it a long time, the white stripe and re-growth is a pain and I'm not willing to go through the growing out so I keep dyeing it.

Henna works well on hair that isn't grey. that's my observation.

As for my weekend it involved emptying my lounge room in preparation for our first ever new lounge suite!

I LOVE that winter tree shadow. Makes me long for winter.

Bells said...

as a fellow grey-haired person I have to say that if my hair was entirely grey I'd leave it that way. Because I've been dyeing it a long time, the white stripe and re-growth is a pain and I'm not willing to go through the growing out so I keep dyeing it.

Henna works well on hair that isn't grey. that's my observation.

As for my weekend it involved emptying my lounge room in preparation for our first ever new lounge suite!

I LOVE that winter tree shadow. Makes me long for winter.

Jill said...

You remember when we tried henna together, to cover MY grey? I must've been, what, 24? 23? But My hair's so dark the henna didn't do a dang thing except make a huge mess out of mom's kitchen. That was the first & last time I've tried to dye the grey. I get lots of COMMENTS which I always take as compliments but Michael says I'm naive....usually people say, I wish I was so brave to not color my hair. Falls in the same category as I don't have the patience to knit. People.