Monday, February 6, 2012

Valentine Banner

The kids and I collaborated on this month's seasonal window hanging. The full story on how we made it is over on my kids/art blog (as you can tell, because I was too lazy to change the name stamp on the pictures to this blog name). It involved paint, and more paint, and paper bags, and glue...

...and it is just so cheery. I admit, I'd been sort of proprietary of that window space, really enjoying decorating it and surprising my kids, but I also really enjoy looking at this Valentine heart, love-filled collaboration that will liven up our dining room all month long.

Since cutting out hearts is (just) a bit beyond my youngest's scissor skills right now, we gave her the scraps and a heart hole punch, and I made this sweet little hanging string of hearts that decorates the doorway at the top of the stairs, into the kitchen.

And this pretty much represents the sum total of weekend creating, and I'm amazed we managed this much. We had one kid in the ER Friday night, another at the pediatrician's bright and early Saturday morning, three separate trips to the pharmacy for prescriptions, and we parents were so exhausted we spent a goodly part of the weekend staring dumbly, trying to remember what we maybe had been going to say, again? Some weekends are like that.

But we have hearts. And I love 'em.

(This project was part of TinkerLab's latest creative challenge, using paper bags. If you're interested, all the information can be found on Rachelle's blog.)

8 comments:

Bells said...

Lovely! The idea of decorating a window for the coming season is just such a lovely idea and the little hole punched hearts are adorable.

Jill said...

With that list of catastrophes, I'm amazed you did any art at all. Love love.

Rose Red said...

Oh, what a weekend! Hope everything is ok now and you have a chance to catch your breath!

Donna Lee said...

Paper bags? We don't see them anymore unless they're brown lunch bags!

I always liked decorating for all the holidays as well. Life is too short not to celebrate everything.

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said...

It looks great, I think it's my favourite of all the ones you've done so far. And I hope everyone's ok now!

amy said...

Thanks, y'all! I think it's my favorite one, too. And we are somewhat better--with 3 kids any virus takes a while to run through everyone!

Donna Lee, these are lunch bags--I'd bought a package before Christmas so the kids could decorate them and use them to hold the gifts they'd made for family members. We don't use them for lunches--it's all reusable, insulated lunch boxes (and reusable containers, too--washing/filling/packing lunches is the bane of my existence, 180 days per year). This was a fun way to use some of those lunch bags!

june at noon said...

Very sweet. I'm a little sad I can't get out my heart-y decor this month, as we've got the house staged for sale. I'll enjoy yours instead! :)

Suburban Correspondent said...

Nothing like a Friday night date at the ER! Hope everyone is okay...