Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Finished Knit: Hitchhiker Scarf

I finished this Saturday night, right before we got our first snowfall of the winter fall. Honestly, snow before Halloween is a little obnoxious, but I did the only reasonable thing I could do Sunday morning--I went out in my pajamas at 7:15 (my daughter had been awake for 90 minutes by then; at least it was quiet outside) and took photos of my finished knit. If any of the neighbors were awake enough to notice, I hope they were amused.

Pattern: Hitchiker
Yarn: Wollmeise. Um, purple. I've had it a while, a gift from alala.
Needle: US 2
Points: Only 41. I'm supposed to have 42, but I didn't think I'd have enough yarn, and I was right--I only had 4 grams left over after binding off, and you need about 6, the pattern says, for the final point.


This took about three weeks to knit. Those points are a bit addictive! I think the next-to-last one took me about 40 minutes to do. It's a really ingenious construction, beginning at one end, casting on only a few stitches, and then lengthening the rows with increases so that the last bindoff row is actually one short edge of the scarf. Even without the final point, my scarf is a bit longer than the pattern says. I assume my gauge was off a bit, but I didn't think it mattered too much for this project.

This is my third attempt to knit up this yarn. I really love it, but it was stubborn. First I tried to turn it into a pair of Mirry Dancers, but if I remember correctly, there was no resting round in that pattern, and it was impossible for me, given the constant low-level chaos around here. I hope to try it again some day, though, since I really like the pattern. Then I believe this was the yarn I used for Knotty Gloves, until I dropped some stitches cabling and got frustrated with it all (this was when my knitting mojo departed in the early summer, I think). I'm just relieved the yarn finally agreed to be a scarf.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh, snow!!! It's not real until I see it, you know?

Cute scarf! These costumes have killed sewing for me, so I see myself taking a break and picking up knitting needles soon. Ella was taking it upon herself to knit chains again last week, so I think she's ready too. Plus, you know, it's finally cold. :)

Donna Lee said...

That looks like a great pattern. It would work wonderfully under a woolen coat.

We didn't get as much snow. Only slushy icy stuff that melted in the sun. Thank goodness.

Lori said...

haha i like the nablopomo symbol.

i am NOT looking forward to our first snow...

Rose Red said...

It is a great pattern, perfect for the wollmeise! I can definitely see one of these in my knitting future.

Bells said...

and what a scarf it turned out to be! So beautiful against the (most unwelcome) snow! I love it. I was going to say it's blue but that's just the photo I guess since you say it's purple. Beautiful. I do love it when a yarn finally figures out what it wants to be.

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said...

I think you got the perfect pattern and yarn combination, it looks great. Third time lucky, it's clearly what the yarn wanted to be!

Unknown said...

Love it!

lamina @ do a bit said...

Love it... it looks gorgeous!! I just love the fact that the yarn had a say in what it wanted to be... ha ha ha hilarious :)