Monday, November 12, 2012

Finished Knit: Baby Blanket and Hat


I finished the Easy Eyelet Baby Blanket with some yarn left over, so I decided to make a hat. I'm quite pleased with the hat, actually. I carried every 11th and 12th purl stitch from the ribbing up through the stockinette as garter. Then I decreased one stitch on each side of those purl stitches every other row, which resulted in a little star shape at the crown.


Just a little something extra for knitterly interest. The baby is due next month, so I figure even if this hat only fits at the very beginning, it'll be useful. I have a hard time with baby head sizes. My first baby had an enormous head. Of course that was the only baby that wasn't a c-section. I remind him of this when I get a chance. And then my next baby was six weeks early. I think my third and last was of an average baby size, but like I said. I have a hard time with baby head sizes. The mother-to-be works with my husband, so this will be ready for him to deliver next week, when he returns stateside from his latest business trip, so she will have it, hopefully, before the baby is born.

The details are on Ravelry here. I used Cascade 220 Superwash because I don't know the new mama well enough to say whether a fussier-to-wash yarn would be okay. My younger two children pet it and remarked how soft it is and how much a baby will enjoy it. My kids are fans of my knitting, which is nice.

And that's about it! Easy knitting, soft blanket. I'm a little behind on Art Every Day Month but hope to post on that soon...ish. I discovered you can download USGS topographical maps online. Holy moly. Old ones, too. Down a rabbit hole, I fell. Just dig down through the maps, and you'll find me...

5 comments:

bells said...

oh the star detail is gorgeous! Lovely. Yes, tiny heads need warmth and that gives you time to knit something bigger later, whatever the size.

Donna Lee said...

I like the star design. I wish my brain worked that way. I need things written down. I can't visualize what I want it to look like and then make it happen.

Carolyn said...

I agree with Donna, wish I could think that way. The detail on the hat is perfect, I'm sure the mama will love it, no matter what size the baby's head is! :) I love the blanket, I'll have to check it out on Ravelry...

Olivia said...

I have had improvisations work out nicely like that, but more often not! The set looks like a really lovely gift.

Rose Red said...

I love the decreases on the hat - very cool! You are very generous with your knitting time to make these great gifts for the new mum.